Art residency for indigenous creators, artists and craftsperson
Call for interest
La Boîte Rouge VIF is pleased to offer 3 multidisciplinary exploratory residencies for Indigenous creators, artists and craftsperson in all fields of visual arts who wish to deepen and develop their artistic practice and/or acquire specific skills in an environment conducive to reflection and which is culturally sensitive to indigenous realities.
This offer is open to all indigenous creators, artists and craftsperson from the First Nations and Inuit in Quebec who wish to explore or develop a new idea, have access to specialized expertise aimed at artistic and professional development towards a career development.
As part of this residency, selected candidates will be entitled to a range of possibilities tailor-made to meet their needs:
Who is eligible?
What types of arts?
How to indicate your interest and apply?
Before January 28, 2024, at 11:59 PM.
We want to know about your creative process, your motivations for participating in this residency and see some visual examples of your work.
You can share this with us either :
1. By filling in the form at: https://forms.gle/iFhEQ5ggforek1mT7
2. Prefer to do it orally? Send your contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll arrange a video conference call.
How will the selection of candidates be conducted?
A multidisciplinary committee will select each candidate based on the criteria listed above. Committee members may contact you for more details.
Download the PDF version of the call for interest : http://www.laboiterougevif.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Annonce-Residence-Artist-En.pdfhttp://www.laboiterougevif.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Annonce-Residence-Artist-En.pdf
Who are we ?
La Boîte Rouge VIF La Boîte Rouge VIF is an indigenous non-profit organization founded in Chicoutimi in 1999. It places collaborative research and co-creation at the service of cultural transmission. We are also a creative hub where the meeting between individuals, communities and cultural identities is directed towards the expression of the vitality of indigenous cultures. Through artistic co-creation, (inter)cultural mediation strategies and a multidisciplinary approach, we are committed to bringing to light expressions of renewed identities, a powerful engine of cultural security and self-determination.
Where are we?
The residency will take place in Ville Saguenay (Chicoutimi) in the Saguenay-Lac Saint-Jean regions which is approximately 200 km north east from Québec City. Chicoutimi has a very energetic artistic and cultural ecosystem and is considered the third hub of artistic creation after Montreal and Quebec City. There are several cultural and artistic activities, restaurants and leisure centers of all kinds. Nature and large natural spaces are very close and the city also has a small, very dynamic and diverse urban center. The people are quite welcoming and kind and also have a large community of people from the First Nations who live in an urban environment.
Some links to get to know our partners and the artistic and cultural community in Saguenay.
- Le Centre Bang! : Important Chicoutimi artist-run center and residency project partners: Three exhibition venues in Saguenay, an art bookstore, an artist residency program (where you will be able to stay) and an artistic forest land with possibilities of access to accommodation in the territory. https://centrebang.ca/
- Centre Mamik Saguenay : Community center for indigenous citizens who live in the Saguenay territory. Where it is possible to dine, hang out and participate in cultural activities. https://centremamik.com/
- Le Centre de production en art actuel TOUTTOUT : the organization provides to professional and emerging artists; workspaces, a fleet of specialized equipment and low-cost technical expertise to support the realization of their projects. https://www.touttout.org/
- La bande Sonimage : Cinema production support center in Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean (SLSJ); rental fleet of cinema filming equipment, post-production support, screenwriting residencies, advanced training, etc. https://bandesonimage.org/
- Le Lobe : is an important artist-run center which is a real laboratory for experimentation and dissemination of work produced by research artists. https://www.lelobe.com/
- Regard, Saguenay International Short Film Festival : From March 20 to 24, 2024, you will be able to have access to this wonderful short film festival and meet cinema artisans from all over the world. https://festivalregard.com/
- CEM (Centre d’Expérimentation Musicale) : Center for the creation and dissemination of creative music in Saguenay. A unique place in Canada for musical experimentation. Come see a show or we could organize a residency party with this great gang of creators. https://cem.studio/fr